This potato dish is creamy, delicious, and easy to make.
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 1H45M
Serves: Serves 4
- 2lb (900g) all-purpose waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into slices 1/8in (3mm) thick
- 11/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 11/4 cups whole milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Combine the potatoes, cream, and milk in a large pot, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are beginning to soften.
- Transfer the potatoes to a shallow 2 quart (2.3 liter) baking dish. Sprinkle the garlic over the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Strain the cream mixture through a fine sieve, then pour over the potatoes. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake 30 minutes more, or until the potatoes are hot and the top is golden.
- Bake the casserole on a sheet pan, to catch any spills, or line the bottom of your oven with foil. This dish can easily spill when it starts boiling.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!