Deep South Candied Tomatoes
The ingredients in this candied tomato recipe are simple, the work is easy, and the flavor is downright delectable!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups (one 28-ounce can) tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 1/2 cup pourable Sugar Twin or Sprinkle Sweet
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar Twin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 slices reduced-calorie white bread, made into small crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a large skillet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, sauté onion for 5 minutes.
- Add undrained tomatoes, Sugar Twin, Brown Sugar Twin, chili seasoning and black pepper. Mix well to combine. Continue cooking for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon hot mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over top. Lightly spray with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until crumbs are browned.
- Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.