Dixie Grits Casserole
Type: Side Dishes
If plain old grits don't fill the bill, try this delicious casserole -- it turns a simple grain into a star!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 cup quick cooking grits
- 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 eggs or equivalent in egg substitute
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir grits into boiling water. Lower heat and simmer for 6 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove saucepan from heat and fold in Cheddar cheese. Stir in margarine, garlic, and Tabasco sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs and skim milk. Add milk mixture to grits mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 10 minutes.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.