Egg Fried Rice
Type: Side Dishes
This popular Chinese-style rice dish is an excellent way to use up leftover rice
Prep Time: prep 5 mins
Cooking Time: cook 10 mins
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 4-6 cups cold cooked rice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over a high heat until very hot. Add the oil and swirl around. Add the scallions and pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until softened but not colored.
- Add the rice to the wok and stir-fry about 5 minutes until heated through. Push the rice away from the center of the wok, pour in the eggs, and stir until scrambled and set.
- Once the eggs are scrambled, toss all the ingredients together, add the soy sauce, and serve at once.
- prep 5 mins; cook 10 mins
House Special Fried Rice: Add chopped celery, peas, corn, sliced napa cabbage, seeded and sliced mild jalapeño peppers, or any other leftover vegetables, along with cubes or strips of cooked meat or chicken. Add bean sprouts at the last minute or they will lose their crunchiness.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!