Egg Noodles with Lemongrass and Herbs
Serve these fragrant noodles with simply roasted chicken or pork
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 5 mins
Serves: makes 4 side-dish servings
- 12oz ( 350g) fresh Asian-style egg noodles or fresh linguine
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- pinch of sugar
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1in ( 2.5cm) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and shredded
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles and cook according to the package directions. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again. Toss with 2 tsp of the oil.
- Mix the soy sauce, lemon juice, and sugar together; set aside. Remove the outer layer of the lemongrass, and cut off the tough top where it meets the tender bottom bulbous end. Cut the tender bulb into very thin slices, then mince finely.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in a wok over high heat. Add the scallions, lemongrass, and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute or until very fragrant. Add the noodles and cook, tossing often, for 2 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce mixture and continue cooking around 2 minutes or until hot. Add the chives and cilantro and toss well. Serve immediately.
- prep 10 mins; cook 5 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!