Here's a handy way to serve canned carrots and get a healthy wallop of Vitamin A!
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 cups (two 16-ounce cans) sliced carrots, rinsed and drained
- 6 (3/4-ounce) slices Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese & 3 tablespoons (3/4 ounce) purchased dried fine bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a large skillet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, sauté onion for 5 minutes.
- In a covered jar, combine flour, dry milk powder, and water. Shake well to blend.
- Pour mixture into skillet with onion. Add mustard and parsley flakes. Mix well to combine.
- Continue cooking until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
- Spoon half of carrots into prepared baking dish. Arrange 3 of the cheese slices over top. Repeat layers.
- Evenly spoon onion sauce over top. Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over sauce. Light spray top with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Divide into 6 servings.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.