Type: Side Dishes
Faro, the Italian word for "spelt," makes a delectable change from rice in this pilaf.
Serves: Serves: 3 to 4
- 1 cup faro
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 small zucchini, cut into small dice
- Pecorino Romano cheese
- Place the faro and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and steam until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a heavy skillet.
- Heat the oil and add the garlic. Sauté a few moments over low-medium heat, then add the zucchini. Continue to stir until coated with oil.
- Cover and steam until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and toss in the bowl with the faro.
- Add salt to taste. Grate on a little Pecorino Romano if you'd like.
From Eat Right for Your Baby by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney. Copyright Â© 2004.
To order this book visit www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.