Fast and Easy Scalloped Potatoes
Type: Side Dishes
This recipe is a great twist on the classic recipe, and you can make it in a jiffy.
Serves: Serves 4 to 6
- 11⁄2 lbs. baking potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3 TB. butter
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- Peel and slice potatoes.
- Arrange slices (about 1⁄2 inch thick) in a microwave-safe baking dish with a lid, pour milk over, and sprinkle with salt.
- Cover and microwave on high for 8 minutes or until soft, turning dish 180 degrees once.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat and cook onions during the whole time the potatoes are cooking. They will turn soft, translucent, and sweet.
- When potatoes are done, add them to the skillet with milk, turn heat to high, and cook for eight minutes.
- Serve with salt and pepper, and, if you like, a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
- Add chopped ham when adding potatoes to the skillet for a quick, hearty main course.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to 20-Minute Meals © 2003 by CWL Publishing Enterprises, Inc., John Woods, President. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.