Feta Filo Pie
Type: Side Dishes
Crisp pastry encases a delicious blend of spinach, feta, and pine nuts in this classic Middle Eastern dish
Prep Time: prep 30 mins, plus cooling and standing
Cooking Time: cook 1 hr
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 2lb ( 900g) spinach, rinsed
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 / 3 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1 / 2 cup toasted pine nuts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 sheets thawed frozen filo
- 10oz ( 300g) feta cheese, crumbled
- parsley sprigs, to garnish
- strips of lemon zest, to garnish
- Rinse the spinach leaves, shake off the excess water, and pack into a large saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until just wilted. Drain well in a colander, pressing the spinach to extract as much water as possible. Let cool in the colander.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add the onion and spices and cook 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned. Stir in the apricots and pine nuts and set aside to cool. Preheat the oven to 400癋 (200癈).
- To assemble the pie, melt the remaining 2 tbsp butter. Lightly brush an 8in (20cm) springform pan with melted butter. Line the pan with a filo sheet, letting the edges hang over the edge, and brush with butter. Repeat with 5 more sheets, brushing with butter each time and letting the excess hang over.
- Blot the cooled spinach with paper towels, then chop finely. Stir into the cooked onion mixture, and season with salt and pepper. Spread half of the spinach into the filo-lined pan. Sprinkle with the feta, then cover with the remaining spinach mixture.
- Piece by piece, fold the overhanging filo over the spinach, brushing with butter as you go. Brush the top with any remaining butter and place the pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until crisp and golden. Let stand for 10 minutes, then carefully remove the sides of the pan.
- Serve hot or warm, cut into wedges, and garnish with parsley and strips of lemon zest.
- prep 30 mins, plus cooling and standing; cook 1 hr
Blue Cheese Filo Pie: Substitute crumbled blue cheese, such as Stilton, for the feta, if desired. For a meat version of this pie, replace the cheese with 2 cups chopped cooked chicken or cooked ground lamb.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!