Glazed Carrots with Thyme
These carrots are a good accompaniment to roast beef, pork, lamb, or poultry
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1lb ( 450g) carrots, thinly sliced grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and peeled
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chopped thyme
- Place the carrots, orange zest and juice, butter, sugar, and garlic in a small saucepan, and season with salt and pepper. Add enough cold water to barely cover the carrots.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and cook over a medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, or until the carrots are just tender.
- Remove the cover and boil until all the liquid has evaporated and the carrots are glazed and golden at the edges, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent sticking. Just before serving, sprinkle in the thyme leaves.
- Prepare ahead: Complete through the end of step 2 several hours in advance, then finish cooking just before serving.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!