Glazed Rosemary Carrots
Rosemary, brown sugar, and apple juice make for scrumptious carrots.
Serves: 5 servings
- 1 pound carrots (about 6 medium), peeled and cut into matchstick-sized pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, finely crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon reduced-fat margarine or light butter
- Place the carrots, apple juice, rosemary, and salt in a large nonstick skillet, and stir to mix well. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes, or until the carrots are tender. Add a little more juice if the skillet becomes too dry.
- Stir the brown sugar or honey and the margarine or butter into the carrot mixture. Increase the heat to medium-high, and cook uncovered for a few additional minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright © 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.