Glazed Shallots with Red Wine
These sweet-and-sour tender shallots will perk up simply grilled meats
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 40 mins
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1lb ( 450g) small shallots, trimmed and peeled
- 1 1 / 4 cups red wine, such as Pinot Noir
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- Melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes, until golden.
- Add the red wine, vinegar, sugar, thyme, and bay leaf, and season with salt. Partially cover and simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Transfer the shallots to a serving bowl, using a slotted spoon. Increase the heat to high and boil the cooking liquid until syrupy. Remove from the heat and whisk in the remaining butter.
- Discard the bay leaf and thyme sprig, and pour the sauce over the shallots; serve immediately.
- prep 10 mins; cook 40 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!