Green Beans Au Gratin
Type: Side Dishes
This green bean dish is an old-fashioned favorite, with its crunchy cornflake topping.
Serves: Serves: 4
- 1 1/2 cups (12-fluid-ounce can) Carnation Evaporated Skim Milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Full 1/2 cup (2 1/4 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups (two 16-ounce cans) cut green beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (3/4 ounce) crushed cornflakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a covered jar, combine evaporated skim milk and flour. Shake well to blend.
- Pour mixture into a medium saucepan sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray. Add Cheddar cheese, onion flakes, and black pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Cook over medium heat until cheese melts and mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Stir in green beans.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Evenly sprinkle cornflakes over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Divide into 4 servings.
- A self-seal sandwich bag works great for crushing cornflakes.
From COOKING HEALTHY WITH THE KIDS IN MIND by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright ฉ 1998 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here.