Grilled Eggplant with Spiced Tomato Sauce
This dish is so yummy, nobody will know it's good for you, too!
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 20M
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 large eggplants, cut into slices 1/2in (1cm) thick
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 14oz (400g) can diced tomatoes
- Preheat the barbecue or ridged cast-iron grill pan until hot. Put the eggplants in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and weigh down with a plate. Leave to drain for 15 minutes, rinse, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a pan over very low heat. Add the garlic and paprika, and cook gently for a few seconds. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly, and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Brush the eggplant slices with the remaining oil, then grill on the barbecue or griddle for 3 minutes on each side until golden. Drizzle with the sauce and serve immediately.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!