Grilled Mushrooms with Croutons, Cherry Tomatoes, and Feta
Whip up a batch of this dish for your next get-together or gathering.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 30M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1lb 2oz (500g) small to medium cremini mushrooms
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 loaf ciabatta
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 anchovies in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 9oz (250g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 31/2oz (100g) feta cheese, crumbled
- flat-leaf parsley leaves, to garnish
- extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C), and heat the barbecue or charcoal grill until hot. Trim the stems off the mushrooms, and discard. Put the mushrooms, lemon zest and juice, and half of the olive oil in a bowl, and stir to combine. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Grill the mushrooms on both sides over high heat for 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the croutons, tear the bread into bite-size pieces and put on a baking tray. Toss with the garlic, anchovies, thyme, rosemary, remaining olive oil, and lots of black pepper. Spread out over the tray, and bake for about 15 minutes until the bread is golden and crisp on the outside.
- To serve, mix together the mushrooms and broken bread in a bowl, and divide among 4 serving plates. Arrange the tomatoes over and around the bread and mushrooms. Top with the feta, garnish with the parsley leaves, and drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil. Serve with grilled fish or lamb.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!