Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Butter and Garlic
Portobello mushrooms with butter, garlic, and parsley are a great option for a quick but elegant side dish.
Serves: Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish
- 6 Portobello mushrooms, as large as you can find (about 2lb/900g in total), stems removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- Build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is medium (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- Rub the mushrooms with oil and sprinkle them generously with salt and pepper, then put them on the grill directly over the coals and cook until they are tender and slightly seared (6-8 minutes per side). If you want to check for doneness, cut into one of the mushrooms to be sure it is moist all the way through, rather than dry at the center.
- As soon as the mushrooms are done, cut them into thick slices and place them in a bowl. Top the hot mushrooms with the butter and garlic, tossing gently to coat them all over. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with parsley, and serve immediately.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!