Grilled Vegetables and Spinach Salad
The grilled vegetables in this salad make it flavorful and irresistible.
Prep Time: 30M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 medium-sized eggplant, about 12oz (350g)
- sea salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 yellow bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 sprigs of oregano, leaves picked
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 zucchini, about 10oz (300g), cut into diagonal slices 5mm (1/2in) thick
- 6 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 canned artichoke hearts, cut into wedges
- 4 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 12 black olives
- 1 small red onion, sliced into thin rounds
- For the dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat the barbecue or charcoal grill until hot. Cut the eggplant into slices 1/2in (1cm) thick. Put in a colander, sprinkle with sea salt, and leave to drain for 15 minutes. Rinse, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, put the peppers in a shallow dish, and add 4 tablespoons of the oil and the oregano. Season with sea salt and black pepper, and mix until the peppers are coated in the oil. Grill over high heat for about 10 minutes, until they are charred. Allow to cool a little, peel off the charred skin, and slice the pepper halves into strips. Set aside. Brush the eggplant and zucchini slices with a little oil, and grill on both sides over high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, until they are just tender and starting to char. Set aside.
- Cook the asparagus in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes. Drain, and immediately place on the barbecue or grill. Grill over medium heat for about 5 minutes, brushing the spears with a little of the oil as they are cooking and turning them as they char. Brush the grill with a little oil, and grill the artichoke hearts at the same time, allowing 2-3 minutes for each side. Allow to cool slightly.
- Put all the grilled vegetables in a bowl, and add the spinach, olives, and red onion. To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients, and season with sea salt and black pepper. Pour over the salad, and toss gently. Serve with grilled chicken or beef.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!