Perfect for summer, these vegetables are easy to prepare and go well with any main dish
Prep Time: 20M, plus marinating
Cooking Time: 4M-6M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 1 large eggplant, sliced crosswise
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley, plus extra to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Arrange the zucchini, red and yellow peppers, eggplant, and fennel, cut-sides up, in a large nonmetallic dish. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over the vegetables, and marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, light an outdoor grill or preheat the broiler. Oil the grill grate or the broiler pan.
- Lift the vegetables out of the marinade, and place them on the grill or broiler rack. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until tender and lightly charred, brushing with the marinade. Serve warm or at room temperature, drizzled with remaining marinade and sprinkled with parsley.
- large, nonmetallic dish, heat-resistant pastry brush
- Prepare ahead: The vegetables can marinate in step 1 for several hours. Or cook them a day in advance and serve at room temperature.
- Good with barbecued or grilled steaks or chops.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!