Grilled White Mushrooms with Bacon and Parmesan
This dish is cheesy, crisp, a little bit hot, and just plain delicious.
Serves: Serves 4 as a side dish
- 4oz (115g) bacon, diced small
- 11/2lb (675g) white mushrooms, stems trimmed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- On the stove top, cook the bacon until crisp in a sauté pan over medium heat (6-8 minutes). Drain well and set aside.
- Build a fire in your grill. When the coals are all ignited, the flames have died down, and the temperature is medium (see Gauging the temperature), you're ready to cook.
- Combine the mushrooms, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper in a bowl and toss until evenly coated. If the mushrooms are small, thread them onto skewers. Put the mushrooms on the grill directly over the coals and cook until they are moist all the way through-about 10 minutes. Put the mushrooms into a large bowl and immediately add the bacon, parmesan, parsley, and butter, tossing gently until the mushrooms are evenly coated with butter and cheese. If necessary, season with more salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
Excerpted from Grill It!.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!