Holiday Cranberry Sauce
Homemade cranberry sauce has a better texture and better taste than anything you can find in a can.
Serves: Serves: 12
- 4 cups fresh cranberries, washed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups port wine
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- Combine all ingredients in large saucepan and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until berries pop.
- Cool to room temperature; pour mixture into airtight containers and refrigerate at least 3 days before serving.
- Cranberry sauce will keep several months in refrigerator.
- USDA researchers have found that a single spoonful of cinnamon (1/4 to 1 teaspoon) helps the body metabolize sugar 20 times better.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.