Italian Oven-Fried Eggplant
Type: Side Dishes
Instead of pan-frying eggplant, oven-fry it and cut down on the fat!
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
- 1/3 cup Italian-style seasoned dried bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese*
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon unbleached flour
- Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
- * In this recipe, use regular Parmesan cheese, not a fat-free product.
- Trim a couple of inches off each end of the eggplant, and discard. Slice the eggplant crosswise into eight rounds, each 1/2-inch thick. Set aside.
- Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick olive oil cooking spray, and set aside.
- Place the egg substitute in a shallow bowl. Place the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and flour in another shallow bowl, and stir to mix well. Dip the eggplant slices first in the egg substitute, and then in the crumb mixture, turning to coat both sides well. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the prepared sheet, and spray the tops lightly with the cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered at 400°F for 10 minutes. Turn the slices, and bake for 10 additional minutes, or until golden brown and tender. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.