Lemon-Pepper Asparagus Spears
Lemon enhances the flavor of asparagus, and parmesan cheese adds lots of interest.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh or frozen asparagus
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated nonfat Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Spray microwave-safe dish with cooking spray.
- Snap off ends of fresh asparagus and place in dish. Drizzle asparagus with lemon juice; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and lemon pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap, leaving one corner slightly opened. Microwave fresh asparagus on High 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- For best results, turn dish every 5 minutes unless microwave has rotating dish.
- This dish can be prepared, refrigerated and microwaved just before serving or microwaved, refrigerated and reheated in microwave 1 to 2 minutes until heated through. If using frozen asparagus, do not assemble until ready to heat.
- Asparagus is a good source of saponins, compounds associated with killing cancer cells and lowering blood cholesterol levels.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.