This cucumber, tomato, and millet dish catches you off guard with its subtle background of mint.
- 2 cups water (Vegetable Stock makes for more flavor)
- 1 cup millet (lightly toasted in pan, no oil please)
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded, small dice
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add 1 cup of millet, stir, return to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.
- Let sit off heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove to a bowl and let cool slightly.
- Add the scallions, cucumber, tomatoes, and mint. Mix well and dress with oil and lemon and add salt to taste.
From Eat Right for Your Baby by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney. Copyright © 2004.
To order this book visit www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.