Mixed Root Vegetable Gratin
A creamy, warming cheese-topped dish
Prep Time: prep 10 mins
Cooking Time: cook 1 hr
Serves: makes 4-6 servings
- butter for the pan
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 / 2 small celery root, pared and thinly sliced
- 1 3 / 4 cups heavy cream, plus more as needed
- 2 / 3 cup whole milk
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 / 2 cup shredded Gruy鑢e cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350癋 (180癈). Butter the gratin dish; Overlapping the slices, layer the parsnips, potato, and the celery root.
- Mix the cream, milk, garlic, and nutmeg, season with salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 1 hour, or until tender and golden. Let stand 5 minutes then serve hot.
- prep 10 mins; cook 1 hr
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!