Pan-grilled Eggplant and Zucchini Salad
Type: Side Dishes
Serve at room temperature to allow the flavors to merge
Prep Time: prep 15 mins, plus standing
Cooking Time: cook 30 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 2 eggplants, thinly sliced lengthwise
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 4 small zucchini, trimmed and sliced
- mint leaves, to garnish
- Sprinkle the eggplant slices with 2 tsp salt and let stand in a colander for 30 minutes.
- Mix together the oil, vinegar, and garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a ridged grill pan over high heat. Brush the zucchini with a little olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cook the zucchini, turning once, about 3 minutes, until tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Rinse the eggplants and pat dry with paper towels. Brush the eggplants with olive oil and cook for about 5 minutes, turning once. Transfer to the bowl, add the dressing, and mix. Stir in the mint leaves. Let stand for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- prep 15 mins, plus standing; cook 30 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!