Perfect Creamy Mash
These mashed potatoes are creamy, easy to make, and absolutely delicious.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 4
- 2lb (900g) floury potatoes, such as russet or Maris Piper, peeled and halved or, if large, quartered
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp warm whole milk (more if needed)
- 2 tbsp butter
- Put the potatoes in a large pot of salted water, bring to a boil, and cook uncovered over medium heat until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 20 minutes. Drain well, then return to the pan and leave to stand in a warm place, covered, for 5 minutes to allow them to dry out a little.
- Mash well until there are no lumps, then add the milk and mash again. If the potatoes are still a little dry, add some more milk and mash once more.
- Beat in the butter with a wooden spoon and season well with salt and pepper. Do not overbeat the potatoes, or they will become gluey. You want them fluffy and lump-free.
- Jazz up your mashed potato with some finely chopped herbs such as parsley or thyme, a teaspoon of coarse-grain mustard, or a handful of grated Cheddar cheese.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!