Potato and Fennel Pancakes with Mushrooms
Categories: Comfort Foods, Entertaining, Hanukkah, Passover, St. Patrick's Day, Vegetarian
Type: Side Dishes
Type: Side Dishes
Combine oyster mushrooms with the creminis, if you wish
Prep Time: prep 15 mins
Cooking Time: cook 1 hr
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 3 baking potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and finely diced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8oz ( 225g) cremini mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese shavings, to garnish
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche, to serve
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water and cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, until just tender. Drain, cool, and peel. Shred the potatoes into a bowl.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and fennel and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add the potatoes, eggs, flour, and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C). Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. In batches, add about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture for each pancake, and flatten with a spatula. Cook, turning once, about 7 minutes, until golden. Keep warm in the oven while making the remaining pancakes.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook about 5 minutes until the mushrooms are browned. Stir in the thyme and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the pancakes, topped with the mushrooms, Parmesan shavings, and a dollop of crème fraîche.
- prep 15 mins; cook 1 hr
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!