A good accompaniment for roasted and grilled meats
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 25 mins
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 1lb ( 450g) baking potatoes, peeled, boiled until tender, drained, cooled
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp finely chopped mixed herbs, such as parsley, thyme, and chives
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grate the potatoes. Mix the potatoes, onion, egg, herbs, flour, and nutmeg together and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a 10in (25cm) nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the potato mixture, spreading it to make a thick potato pancake. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the underside is browned. Place a baking tray on top of the pan and flip the galette over. Slide it back into the pan to brown the other side. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- prep 20 mins; cook 25 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!