Quinoa is the seed of a plant related to spinach. It's a super grain that makes a great risotto.
Serves: Serves: 4.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, very small dice (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped sweet basil
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 1/4 cups Vegetable Stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Cook a few minutes on medium heat, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the red pepper and chopped sweet basil and continue cooking for another minute.
- Rinse the quinoa before adding. Cook the quinoa for a few moments, then add the vegetable stock (water will do, although vegetable broth is so sweet and delicious).
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover for 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately. This recipe is also delicious cold the following day for lunch.
From Eat Right for Your Baby by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney. Copyright Â© 2004.
To order this book visit www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.