A rainbow of vegetables make this famous side dish healthy and delicious.
Serves: serves 4
- 2 zucchini
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 large red peppers
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- a few coriander seeds or 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp fresh basil or parsley, chopped
- Wash the zucchini and eggplant and cut into small slices.
- Place in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and leave for an hour.
- Deseed the peppers and cut into thin strips.
- Peel and finely slice the onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until transparent.
- Rinse and pat dry the eggplant and zucchini, and add them, together with the peppers and garlic. Cover and simmer gently for about 40 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and coriander, and cook for another 30 minutes-but don't let it get too mushy.
- Stir in the basil or parsley, and serve hot.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!