Red Beans and Rice
Red Beans and Rice should be part of everyone's recipe repertoire. When the refrigerator is looking bare, you've probably got the ingredients for this in your cupboard.
Serves: Serves: 4
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup (one 8-ounce can) Hunt's Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Hormel Bacon Bits
- 10 ounces (one 16-ounce can) red kidney beans or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, sauté onion and green pepper for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce, garlic, bacon bits, and kidney beans. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- For each serving, place 1/2 cup rice on a plate and spoon 1/2 cup bean mixture over top.
- 1/3 cups uncooked instant rice usually cooks to about 2 cups.
From COOKING HEALTHY ACROSS AMERICA by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 2000 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover.