For the spice lover in your family, try this quick, jazzed-up rice dish.
Serves: serves 4
- 4 oz (125 g) boil-in-the-bag brown rice
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small, fresh red chili pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Boil a pan of water, and cook the rice-it will take 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash the pepper, remove the ribs and seeds, and slice it into strips. Wash, slit open, and deseed the chili pepper-rinse your hands carefully afterward.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and gently sauté the chili in it for 5 minutes, then fish it out with a fork and discard it.
- Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper, and sauté them over low heat until they are soft.
- When the rice is cooked, put it in a salad bowl, pour in the contents of the frying pan, and stir through.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!