Rice and Peas
Rice and peas make the perfect side dish for any meal. These have a spicy twist.
Prep Time: 5M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2-3 fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 21/2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 1 × 14oz (400g) can black-eye peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 × 14oz (400g) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups hot vegetable stock, or as needed
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over low heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and chiles, and cook for a few seconds more.
- Stir in the rice, making sure the grains are well coated, then add the beans, coconut milk, and most of the stock. Cover the pan, and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender; if you need to add more stock, do so.
- Serve hot, either on its own or with vegetables.
- Use red kidney beans instead of black-eye peas.
- Do rinse the rice before you use it; this will help remove some of the starch.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!