Rio Grande Rice
Mushrooms, cheese, and pepper add rich flavor to this rice dish.
Serves: Serves: 4
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 3/4 cups (one 15-ounce can) Hunt's Chunky Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili seasoning
- 1/2 cup (one 2.5-ounce jar) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In a large skillet sprayed with butter-flavored cooking spray, sauté onion and celery for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in mushroom soup, tomato sauce, Cheddar cheese, and chili seasoning.
- Continue cooking until cheese melts, stirring often.
- Add mushrooms, rice, and black pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes. Divide into 4 servings.
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked rice usually cooks to about 2 cups.
From COOKING HEALTHY WITH THE KIDS IN MIND by JoAnna Lund. Used by arrangement with Perigee, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. Copyright © 1998 by Healthy Exchanges, Inc.
If you'd like to buy this book, click here.