Roast Squash with Ginger
Spicy vegetables make a punchy side dish
Prep Time: prep 20 mins
Cooking Time: cook 40 mins
Serves: makes 8 servings
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 5 tbsp olive oil, plus more for the pan
- 2 fresh hot red chiles, seeded and minced
- 2in ( 5cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into julienne
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Cut the squash in half where the bulbous part meets the "neck." Slice the squash into strips about 1/2in (1cm) thick. Spread in an oiled roasting pan. Whisk the oil, 2 tbsp warm water, chiles, ginger, honey, and salt. Pour over the squash and mix well.
- Bake, shaking the pan occasionally to discourage sticking, for about 40 minutes, or until tender. If the mixture seems dry, add a little more olive oil or water.
- Transfer the squash to a large platter and sprinkle with the mint. Serve warm, with the lime wedges for squeezing.
- prep 20 mins; cook 40 mins
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!