Roasted Acorn Squash
This winter squash has a sweet, slightly dry flavor
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 35M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 2 acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 4 tsp light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Spread an equal amount of butter inside each squash half. Sprinkle each with 1 tsp of the brown sugar.
- Place the halves, cut sides up, in an ovenproof dish large enough to hold them upright. Pour in enough water to come about 1in (2.5cm) up the sides of the dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Baste the melted butter and sugar mixture over the flesh, and continue baking for about 20 minutes more, until the squash are tender and glazed.
- Prepare ahead: Steps 1 and 2 can be done several hours in advance.
- Good with roast meat, especially roast loin of pork or baked ham.
- Leftovers can be made into a soup or reheated.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!