Spinach Italian Style
Fresh spinach cooked with garlic and chili peppers is a fast side dish packed with nutrition.
Serves: serves 4
- 2 lb (1 kg) fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 fresh red or green chili pepper, chopped
- a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Wash the spinach thoroughly in several changes of water.
- Put it while it is still wet into a large pan, cover, and cook over the lowest possible heat. Within 10 minutes the greens will have wilted and become just tender. Drain thoroughly.
- At this point, you can choose two ways of serving the spinach. Either heat the oil in a big pan, quickly sauté the garlic and chili pepper, toss the spinach very quickly in the flavored oil, and serve.
- Alternatively, you can dress the drained spinach with a little olive oil and freshly pressed lemon juice, and serve it lukewarm.
- Wild chicory, beet tops, and endives can all be cooked in this way-and even mixed together. When cooking spinach, you don't have to trim off all the stalks-only the very toughest and thickest should be removed.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!