Stuffed Eggplant Extraordinaire
Type: Side Dishes
Stuffing an eggplant is not as difficult as you might think. With a little preparation, you'll get fantastic results.
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 small eggplants (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons grated
- Parmesan cheese*
- Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
- * In this recipe, use regular Parmesan cheese, not a fat-free product.
- Tear the bread into pieces, and place the pieces in a blender or food processor. Process into fine crumbs, and set aside.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise, and scoop out and reserve the flesh, leaving a 3/8-inch-thick shell. Trim a small piece off the bottom of each shell, if necessary, to allow the half to sit upright. Set aside.
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Finely chop the removed eggplant, and transfer it to the skillet. Add the tomato, green pepper, onion, celery, salt, and black pepper to the skillet, and place over medium heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and stir in the bread crumbs and parsley. Divide the eggplant mixture among the 4 hollowed-out eggplant shells.
- Coat a shallow baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and arrange the stuffed shells in the dish. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of cheese over the top of each stuffed shell, and spray the tops lightly with the cooking spray. Bake uncovered at 350篎 for 25 minutes, or until the filling is heated through and the tops are golden brown. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.