Summer Squash Casserole
Here's a great way to use all the squash from the garden -- in a yummy summer casserole.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh yellow squash (8-10 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat or reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian-style seasoned
- dried bread crumbs
- Nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray
- Cut each squash in half lengthwise. Then cut into slices slightly less than 1/4-inch thick. Measure the squash; there should be 5 cups. Adjust the amount if necessary. Place the squash, onion, water, and pepper in a large nonstick skillet, and stir to mix. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes, or until the squash starts to soften. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 additional minutes, or until the squash is tender. Add a little water during cooking if needed, but only enough to prevent sticking and burning. If any excess water remains in the skillet, cook uncovered until the liquid evaporates, or carefully drain the liquid off. Remove the skillet from the heat, and set aside for about 10 minutes to cool slightly. Stir the flour into the cottage cheese. Then add the cottage cheese to the squash, stirring to mix well. Stir in first the egg substitute and then the cheese. Coat an 8-inch square (2-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and spread the squash mixture evenly in the pan. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top, and spray the top lightly with the cooking spray. Bake uncovered at 375°F for about 45 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly around the edges, the top is lightly browned, and a sharp knife inserted in the center of the casserole comes out clean. Remove the dish from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.