Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Apples
Apples and brown sugar make this cabbage dish sweet and delicious.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 1H15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red cabbage, outer leaves removed, halved, and finely shredded
- 2 red-skinned eating apples, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2in (5cm) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 7fl oz (200ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan, add the cabbage, apple, and ginger and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes or until they have begun to soften and reduce down.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and sugar, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 40 minutes-1 hour or until the cabbage is soft. Stir occasionally so it doesn't stick. Season with salt and pepper and serve with roast pork or pork chops.
- Add a handful of sultanas to the cabbage along with the balsamic vinegar.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!