Sweet Car-tato Bake
This no-fuss casserole blends potatoes and carrots into a creamy side dish.
Serves: Serves: 6
- 8 cups water
- 12-ounce package frozen crinkle-cut carrot slices
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup shredded nonfat cheddar cheese
- Pour water into Dutch oven; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add carrots and potatoes to boiling water and cook 8 to 10 minutes until crisp-tender.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, covered, until carrots and potatoes are softened.
- Drain well; mash carrots and potatoes until smooth. Stir in egg substitute, sour cream, onion powder and pepper; mix well. Stir in cheese and mix until blended.
- Transfer to casserole; dish can be covered, frozen and baked later (after complete thawing) or baked in preheated 350F oven 40 to 45 minutes.
- Beta-carotene-rich sweet potatoes protect DNA in the cell nucleus from cancer-causing compounds.
Excerpted from Cook Once, Eat for a Week by Jyl Steinback. Copyright © 2003 by Family Fit Lifestyle, an Arizona Corporation.To order this book go to Amazon.