Sweet Potato and Nutmeg Mash
Healthy sweet potatoes mashed with warm spices make a fantastic side dish for Thanksgiving and fall dinners, and meals year round.
Serves: serves 4
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- quarter head dark green cabbage, finely shredded
- juice of a lemon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan of cold water and bring to a boil, uncovered.
- After 5 minutes, place the cabbage in a steamer on top and cover.
- Strain the sweet potatoes, put them back in the saucepan and on the heat, shaking vigorously until completely dry.
- Drizzle with olive oil, mash, stir in the steamed cabbage, add the nutmeg and pepper, and serve.
- Serve as a side dish or top with an organic poached egg for a light supper or Sunday brunch.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!