Sweet Potato and Sage Gratin
Type: Side Dishes
Look no further for an out-of-the-ordinary sweet potato dish for holiday entertaining
Prep Time: 20M
Cooking Time: 1H
Serves: makes 6 servings
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp chopped sage
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter, cut into small cubes plus more for the dish
- 2 1/4 lb ( 1kg) orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Whisk the cream, sage, and nutmeg together and season with salt and pepper. Butter an ovenproof gratin dish. Layer the sweet potatoes in the dish, pouring in the cream mixture as you go, and finishing with the cream.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake the for 1 hour, or until the gratin is completely tender when pierced in the center with the tip of a sharp knife.
- 10in (25cm) oval ovenproof gratin dish
- Prepare ahead: Cover and refrigerate the cooked gratin for up to 2 days; reheat before serving.
- Good with roast pork, ham, or turkey.
Gruyère Gratin: Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese before baking. Serve with a crisp green salad to make a vegetarian meal.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright © 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!