Sweet Potato-Apple Casserole
This casserole features ingredients that complement each other perfectly -- sweet potatoes and apples.
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 3/4 pounds unpeeled sweet potatoes (about 3 medium-large)
- 4 medium Granny Smith or golden Delicious apples
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark raisins
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dried grated orange rind
- Peel the potatoes, halve lengthwise, and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Measure the potatoes; there should be 5 cups. Adjust the amount if necessary.
- Peel the apples, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Measure the apples; there should be 3 cups. Adjust the amount if necessary.
- Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray, and spread half of the potatoes over the bottom of the dish. Top with half of the apples and half of the raisins. Repeat the layers.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved. Pour the juice mixture over the casserole. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and, using a sharp knife, cut four 1-inch slits in the foil to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour, or until all of the layers are tender. Serve hot.
Excerpted from The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking by Sandra Woodruff, R.D. Copyright Ã¯Â¿Â½ 2000 by Sandra Woodruff.
To order this book go to www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.