Tomato and Tarragon Pilaf
Tomato and tarragon pilaf makes a delicious side dish to any meal.
Prep Time: 10M
Cooking Time: 25M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 11/2 cups instant rice
- 11/2 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1lb (450g) tomatoes, quartered
- 2 or 3 sprigs of fresh tarragon, leaves picked and torn
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Stir in the garlic and rice, making sure the rice is well coated with butter.
- Now pour in the hot stock, and stir again. Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and stir to fluff the rice. If the pilaf seems dry, add a little more hot stock or water.
- Season well with salt and pepper, then stir in the tomatoes and tarragon. Serve hot with a crisp green salad.
- Tarragon isn't everyone's favorite herb, so substitute thyme or rosemary, if you wish.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright © 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!