Tomato Bulgur Wheat with Capers and Olives
Bulgur wheat tastes great with tomatoes and capers.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: Serves 4
- 2 cups bulgur wheat
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3-11/4 cups tomato juice
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 12 black olives, such as kalamata, pitted and halved
- 12 green olives, pitted and halved
- Pour the bulgur wheat into a large heatproof bowl, then pour in just enough boiling water to cover-about 11/4 cups. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Season generously with salt and pepper, and stir well with a fork to fluff up the grains. Add the tomato juice, a little at a time, until the bulgur has absorbed all the juice. Let stand for a few minutes between each addition-the bulgur will absorb quite a lot of moisture.
- Now add the capers and olives, taste, and season again if needed. Serve with a crisp green salad and some warm pita bread.
- Capers are an invaluable pantry ingredient because they perk up so many dishes. Once you have opened a jar, however, make sure that you keep it in the refrigerator.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!