Turkey, Almond, and Cranberry Pilaf
Rice pilaf tastes even more delicious when turkey, almonds, and cranberries are added to it.
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 40M
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 11/4 cups basmati rice
- 12oz (350g) leftover roast turkey, sliced or shredded, skin removed
- 3 cups hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 11/2 cups dried cranberries
- handful of fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole over low heat. Add the onion, and cook gently for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for a few seconds. Stir in the rice to coat well.
- Pour in the stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly, and stir in the turkey. Simmer gently, covered, adding more hot stock or water, if needed, for 20-25 minutes or until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, add in the cranberries, almonds, and thyme and gently stir through. Serve hot, with a crisp salad and fresh crusty bread on the side.
- Serves 4
Excerpted from The Illustrated Quick Cook.
Copyright Â© 2009 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!