Veggies and chickpeas enliven easy-to-cook couscous in this healthy side dish.
Serves: serves 4
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- half red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp (or more to taste) ground cumin
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- 13 oz (400 g) canned chickpeas, drained
- 3/4 cup couscous
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and fry until golden.
- Add the carrots, zucchini, red pepper, and ground cumin and continue to fry for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, a little salt, and the cilantro.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked and nicely tender.
- Add the chickpeas and heat through.
- While the vegetables are cooking, steam the couscous, according to the package instructions.
- Serve the vegetables and steamed couscous together.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!