Type: Side Dishes
Cook these under the broiler or on a barbecue
Prep Time: 15M
Cooking Time: 15M
Serves: makes 4 servings
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded
- 1 red onion
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 8 button mushrooms
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of crushed hot red pepper
- Trim the zucchini and cut into 8 chunks. Cut the peppers into 1in (2.5cm) pieces. Peel the onion, and cut into wedges leaving the root end intact so that the wedges do not fall apart.
- Thread the zucchini, peppers, onion, tomatoes, and mushrooms in equal amounts onto 4 large or 8 small skewers. Whisk the oil, garlic, oregano, and hot pepper together in a small bowl with a fork.
- Position a broiler rack 6in (15cm) from the source of heat and preheat the broiler. Place the kebabs on the broiler pan and brush generously with the garlic oil. Broil, turning often and brushing with the remaining oil, 10 to 15 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender. Serve hot or at room temperature, with any remaining oil drizzled over the kebabs.
- soak wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes before use to prevent burning
- wooden or metal skewers
- Prepare ahead: Steps 1 and 2 can be completed several hours in advance.
- Good with a leafy salad for a light vegetarian lunch, or alongside grilled meat or fish.
Pesto Vegetable Kebabs: Omit the garlic and oregano. Stir 1 tbsp prepared pesto into the oil.
Excerpted from The Illustrated Kitchen Bible.
Copyright Â© 2008 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!