Carrots and other fresh veggies brighten this hearty rice recipe for a delicious spring side dish.
Serves: serves 4
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 oz (125 g) whole unsalted peanuts
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 12 oz (375 g) brown rice, washed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 oz (125 g) button mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium heat, and sauté the garlic, onions, and peanuts.
- Add the celery, carrot, and leek, and sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the rice and continue to stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, mushrooms, and salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil.
- After 6-7 minutes, add the cucumber.
- Cover and simmer until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Add more stock to the mixture if necessary.
Excerpted from SuperFoods, SuperFast.
Copyright © 2006 Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Buy this book now!